Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Kindred Blog's Outside Our Class


After today’s class I thought that it would be a good idea to check out the www.icerocket.com website and see if anyone else was addressing the same issues that I am on my blog.  I thought I would find something, but didn’t really believe that it would be directly related to my blog.  I was pleasantly surprised to find a post by Rebecca, a student at Kansas City Art Institute, which did a close reading of the Brutus-Marc Anthony speech from Julius Caesar.  It was a good post where she examined the appearance of the classical models (logos, ethos, pathos) in the speech.  It was interesting to read, and to see that the same subject is being discussed elsewhere via the blog interface.  I left a comment on her post that I will reiterate below.  It was cool to make this connection.


Here is my comment:

Rebecca,
I really enjoyed reading this post about the rhetorical strategies illustrated in Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar.  I like that you point out the manipulation of pathos in Marc Anthony’s speech.  I think you have a really good interconnection here between the classic models (ethos, pathos, logos) and specific instances within this speech that develop these trends.  Thanks for posting this; it brought me back to this play.  I saw on the title of your blog that you are a student, and I wanted to ask: Are you doing this as part of the class, or was it simply something on your mind?  I am a student at Brigham young University in Utah and throughout this semester my Shakespeare class has been creating blogs that discuss Shakespeare from various angles.  I have been spending most of my time emphasizing the Renaissance rhetorical strategies and how they appear in his texts.  I did a specific post that, while not following the Renaissance theme of my blog, was a Structuralist approach to this same passage from Julius Caesar.  I think you might find it interesting.  Thanks again for posting this.  Have you reviewed any other works specifically focusing on the classical models?  Here is a link to my post:  http://decryptingshakespeare.blogspot.com/2011/02/adjusting-connotations.html